These images are copyright protected. These electronically available materials are considered intellectual property and are intended for use for educational, academic, and research purposes and are not intended for commercial use. Electronic versions of images are protected by copyright as intellectual property unless noted otherwise.
The copyright, and its associated usage policies, depend on the image:
If an image was generated using data from one the Gemini Observatory telescopes it is copyrighted by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA). Its usage is governed by the policy outlined here.
If an image was generated using data from one of the National Optical Astronomy Observatory telescpes it is copyrighted by NOAO/AURA. This includes images generated from the telescopes at the Kitt Peak National Observatory (KPNO), the Cerro Tololo Interamerican Observatory (CTIO) and the WIYN consortium. Usage of one of these images is governed by the policy outlined here.
All other images are copyright to Travis Rector and their usage is governed as described below:
- Educational Use: You may reproduce an image strictly for educational and research purposes without further permission, subject to the General Conditions section stated below. Some examples of non-commercial uses for educational and research purposes are: academic curricula developed by teachers, research papers written by students or scholars, non-profit educational or non-profit research publications produced by authors or publishers, educational outreach activities composed by amateur astronomers, and news media stories. For other non-commercial uses that are not for educational or research purposes, permission must be obtained.
- Commercial Use: Permission must be obtained from Travis Rector prior to use. I will work with vendors on a case-by-case basis to establish appropriate permissions for use, which in some cases may involve a fee or royalty agreement. If a recognizable person appears in an image, use for commercial purposes may infringe a right of privacy or publicity, and permission must also be obtained from the recognizable person. Some examples of commercial uses are: non-educational book publications, non-news magazines, calendars, logos and retail products. Commercial vendors should submit a request for permission to use the materials and include a description of the intended use of the image.
- Personal, Non-Profit Use: Reproduction, authorship of derivative works, and other transformations of the original work strictly for personal, non-profit/non-commercial/non-retail use are allowed without further permission, subject to the General Conditions section stated below. Some examples of personal, non-profit/non-commercial/non-retail uses are downloading images for personal posters or screensavers or as gifts for friends and relatives.
Any use of these images must abide by the following General Conditions:
- Upon publication, all periodicals, books, broadcasts and web publications must promptly provide sample copies (video via DVD or CD, web via URL reference) sent via the contact page. Failure to do so may result in revocation of permissions.
- These images may not be used to promote any political or religious viewpoint.
- These images may not be used to constitute, state or imply the endorsement by Travis Rector of an individual, commercial product, process, service or activity, or political or religious viewpoint.
- It is unlawful to falsely claim copyright or other rights to images copyrighted to Travis Rector.
- Travis Rector shall in no way be liable for any costs, expenses, claims or demands arising out of use of these images by a recipient or a recipient's distributees.